Friday, 10 July 2009

A Big Bowl of Sprouts: Another This Post

Elnia at the pink pigtail inn posted recently about Heirlooms, and the reason she finds them distasteful.

As I say in the title, the only thing I can really say to that is: This

Okay, that's not true. I do have more to say.

The other thing I have to say is this: Northrend is like a sodding great bowl of sprouts.

The reason Cold Weather Flying exists at all is because Blizzard didn't want people to "skip over" the content in Northrend. In 3.2 you'll be able to buy a Tome of Cold Weather Flying which will give you the option to ... umm ... fly in Northrend thereby skipping over all of the content.

But it's okay! Because you can only buy it at level 80!

Which means it will only be available to people who have already "experienced" the "content".

I've said this a lot, I'll say it again.

Fuck you, Blizzard.

I am not a fucking six year old. I am not in fucking primary school. I am a fucking adult and I can make my own fucking decisions.

I really like experiencing the content. I'm a complete altaholic, I recently rolled a Dwarvish Hunter in order to experience the low-level Alliance content in an exciting new way (with guns!). I do not need to be *forced* to experience the content. I do not need to prove myself by grinding my way to Eighty.

Either the leveling content is an important part of the game, or it's a speedbump on the way to eighty. If it's a speedbump, then ditch it. Let everybody fly in Northrend so they can get to endgame faster. Or alternatively if the content is good enough that it's worth experiencing on its own merits then - well let us fly through it anyway and we'll stop and experience the content in our own sweet time when we think it deserves it. But for fuck's sake Blizzard, stop treating me like I need to get to level 80 before I'm qualified to decide how I want to play the game.

3 comments:

  1. Ah, but the speedbumps keep you invested to the tune of $15/month, longer than you otherwise would be. It's not about content or the player experience, it's about sweet, sweet subscription money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you underestimate the vanity of the average game designer. I genuinely do think that the reason they took away flying for the first seven levels of Northrend was that they wanted people to EXPERIENCE THE CONTENT and by "experience" they mean "look at, in exhaustive detail". It's like when Fantasy writers put enormous chunks of exposition into their books, they've put so much effort into creating it they want people to see it. To see *all* of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gonna play devil's advocate for a moment - the limitation on mounts achieved one thing in terms of "experiencing the content", beyond making sure we looked at all the art - for me, at any rate, it gave me the feeling that I was entering a massive, untapped continent overrun by the enemy. Each flight path seemed to expand the reach of civilization (i.e. the Horde and the Alliance) against the continent's hazards, until 77 or so, when the southern part of the continent feels largely tamed (yes, the mobs are still there, but they have a tiny aggro radius, and you just fly over them anyway). I rather liked that effect.

    Which, of course, is an argument for not doing the cold-weather-flying heirloom book. And indeed, I probably won't. However, the argument in favor of it would be that by the fourth or fifth toon going through early Northrend, that psychological effect doesn't really work as well anymore. You know the zones too well from flying over them - it doesn't feel impressive or alien, it feels like you're stuck on the ground going places more slowly than you're used to.

    ReplyDelete